Rushland Roanoke

Researcher Cindy Catanzaro and I have had a busy month finding Sears kit homes all over the Dayton metro area. Cindy has been going through the Montgomery County mortgage records, while I continue to google drive around the area. It's actually pretty nice because if one of us doesn't find it one way, it usually gets found the other way! Such is the case with the Roanoke on Rushland Dr in Kettering, Ohio.

1922 Sears Modern Homes Catalog - The Roanoke


There are about 10 different ways to get from my work to home -- most of the time, I take one way, but when I get bored of seeing the same thing over and over again, I take one of the many "scenic routes." Anyways, I was jonesin for a cup of caffeine when I passed by a few streets in Kettering. I honest to God thought I saw a Sunlight, which is okay but not stop-worthy, so I made a mental note to check out the neighborhood later. To make a long story short, the Sunlight didn't turn out to be one, but I kept google driving along since it's a tiny plat.

And there they were.
THE BRACKETS.



Five-piece brackets will always make a kit house hunter turn their head -- it's akin to someone screaming "slugbug" and punching you in the shoulder when they see a VW, albeit less painful.

I quickly tried to move forward in my google-driving, only to find out that the street was only half updated -- meaning the google car went by in 2007, but in 2015, it decided to skip the street! UGH, the worst! So I got some grainy screen-grabs to post to my group, promising myself that I would drive my actual car and get photos soon.

 Well that moment turned out to be Friday afternoon. Cindy had messaged me earlier in the day to see if I could get some photos of the only Chester we have on record, so I decided to go see my Rushland Roanoke too! According to the auditor, the Roanoke had gone through some tough times, being foreclosed on in 2015. Not gonna lie, I was a bit nervous to see what had happened to it since then, but when I turned the corner...


2844 Rushland Dr, Kettering, OH - Photo may not be used without permission from Marie Vore

Y'ALL. This is the prettiest Roanoke I have ever seen, maybe even the prettiest Sears house of 2018. Everything had been meticulously updated and lovingly taken care of. So after breathing my sign of relief, I took some photos.

Just for reference, here is the floorplan of the Roanoke from the 1922 Sears Modern Homes catalog --

1922 Sears Modern Homes catalog -- Sears Roanoke

As you may have been able to tell from the photo above, it looks like the side entrance was turned into a large window at some point. Probably when the AC unit went in, which is sitting right in front of it! Otherwise, from what I can tell from the outside, there haven't been too many other changes.

2844 Rushland Dr, Kettering, OH - Photo may not be used without permission from Marie Vore


The only minor change I really notice is that they replaced the two single windows in the kitchen with one, longer double window. This change may have happened when they re-did the kitchen and decided they wanted some more cabinets. Wall space is pretty important in a kitchen, especially when you're already working with a smaller space! As you can see from the bottom photo, they did replace the front door as well. I love the pop of yellow!

Just for showing you what it used to look like, this is the photo on the auditor page, circa 2013. It's not terrible in that condition, but when you compare it to the photos above, it certainly doesn't look as nice!

Auditor photo for 2844 Rushland Dr, Kettering, OH

Overall, the current owners did a GREAT job updating everything! This is definitely a Sears house that I wouldn't mind living in one day! That front porch is so dreamy....

2844 Rushland Dr, Kettering, OH - Photo may not be used without permission from Marie Vore


If you think you've spotted a Sears Roanoke in your neck of the woods, give me a shout at MidwestSearsHouses@gmail.com.





Comments

Popular Posts